Skip to content

A Failed Dyeing Experiment – Foi uma experiência….

January 9, 2012

I had read on a book about natural dyes that the berries of Portuguese laurel could be used to obtain some interesting wool dyes.

In our orchard, there were big laurel trees, full of berries. Technically they were not from a Portuguese laurel – Prunus Lusitanica – but they looked EXACTLY like the ones on google and they were from a laurel, in Portugal….See where this is going?

Li um livro sobre tinturaria natural em que estava referido um certo “loureiro português” de cujas bagas se podia obter uma cor interessante para a lã.

No nosso pomar/terreno há muitos loureiros, cheios de bagas. Ora, tecnicamente, não eram de “loureiros portugueses” – Prunus Lusitanica – mas pareciam EXACTAMENTE iguais às do google e eram de um loureiro, que até era português…. Já se está a ver onde é que isto foi dar?

Excited  – thinking I found a new exciting thing – I got some washed merino fleece, mordanted with alumn. Then I turned to the berries. Since they are much like olives, with only a thin soft skin, I decided to boil them for an hour or so. The liquid had to be put through a paper filter to get rid of some funny green residue. But, there it was: it looked like dye!

Muito entusiasmada – convencida de que tinha feito uma descobertazinha – peguei em alguma lã de merino, foi a um banho de alúmen. Depois peguei nas bagas. Como são parecidas às azeitonas, com um caroço no meio, decidi cozer tudo durante uma hora. O líquido teve depois de ser filtrado por papel, por causa de uns resíduos verdes. Mas, ali estava: parecia mesmo que ía pintar!

Needless to say that, once added to the actual wool no dyeing actually occurred… instead there was just beautiful coloured bordeaux water and white wool inside it….  After 30 min something had to be done.

So, I boiled some onion and threw it in there… at least something came out dyed and beautiful after all the mordanting and heating.

Escusado seja dizer que, depois de pôr a mistura dentro da panela com lã o que aconteceu ficou muito longe de “tingir”… em vez disso havia lã branca dentro de água com uma magnífica cor bordeaux… Depois de 30 minutos neste lamentável estado, algo tinha de ser feito.

Por isso, peguei em algumas cascas de cebola, fervi e adicionei…. ao menos saiu qualquer coisa bonita depois de tanto trabalho a aquecer e arrefecer a lã.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: